About Me

My photo
Glossop, United Kingdom
You can email me andybleaden@gmail.com ,ICQ 277487048 or contact via twitter @andybleaden and yes I am still here-always will be!

Not f'd

Not f'd — you won't find me on Facebook

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Updating Moblin with Broadcom wifi fix





How to update Moblin 2.1 to run the final test kernel version from December


This was a particularly bug bear for many people who had Broadcom wifi drivers who had been using the fix on Slaine.org wonderful site to get Broadcom wireless working on netbooks with Broadcom WiFi.

When it was installed it worked every time. For those who like to tinker around (and break things) like me I noticed that with the arrival expected of Meego and the demise of a Moblin 2.2 Moblin was stuck with a Kernel from November 2009 (hardly ancient). I noticed that under Software Catalogues there were 2 magic other boxes marked Testing and Development. Both of which appeared to look like an open invitation to have to reinstall Moblin again.

I was right!

Immediately I hit alt + f2 and ran Software Catalogues

See picture  




I managed to tick both the testing and Developmental boxes see belowWhen this happened I got an error message for the Development source repo which has since been removed but also got a notice that there were upgrade available (2)


The updates were connected to the browser bookmarks and a Kernel Update. The first time I ran the update everything ran smoothly and I rebooted. Upon reboot though my wifi had disappeared completely. I have found out since that the kernel update notes mention turning of B43 which I can only assume means the wifi. Who knows!

No wifi and no way of reinstalling it meant reinstalling Moblin all over again. Several times I tried this but to no avail but recently had a brain wave!

What if I ran the updates and then reinstalled the wifi fix from Slaine.org not using the rpm he so kindly made but directly from source.

So ...cut to today and I have updated the sources again and rebooted to loose my wifi again. This time I ran the obtain the wifi drivers from sources which is a more long winded process I am used to doing in Meego but I was unsure if they would work BUT they did. So after running the test updates (both of the them and installing) I rebooted. Plugged in the ethernet cable and ran the following in a terminal from the Slaine site.

sudo yum install rpmdevtools
sudo yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
sudo yum install kernel-netbook-devel
     wget http://slaine.org/moblin/releases/2.1/ia32/source/wl-kmod-5.60.48.36-1.moblin.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild --target=i586 wl-kmod-5.60.48.36-1.moblin.src.rpm
sudo rpm -ivh ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/i586/wl-kmod-5.60.48.36-1.moblin.i586.rpm


This seemed to work fine and dandy. 


I then ran sudo reboot and when rebooted and my wifi was back and working again.



Great Success!


Now running kernel-netbook-2.6.31.7-18.1 and got wifi back


 








Just a small note. I thought that perhaps initially removing and then reinstalling the original 
wl-kmod app would fix it but it did not


No comments: