About Me

My photo
Glossop, United Kingdom
You can email me andybleaden@gmail.com ,ICQ 277487048 or contact via twitter @andybleaden and yes I am still here-always will be!

Not f'd

Not f'd — you won't find me on Facebook

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Kubuntu Skype and Logitech Webcam Issue

Getting Logitech webcam working again in Kubuntu on Skype


Background

Had webcam, and skype and it was not working in Skype for some reason. See here for background to the issue from the Ubuntu Forums

Ubuntu Forums


So I had been running Skype with a fix using a Konsole (terminal) command that started Skype via the Konsole using this command
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

But it was a pain in the rear end as I had to try to get my family to use this method as well as they are not so confident with Linux at all....and it should have been easier to fix


Solution

So as you will see from the Ubuntu Forums post there were suggestions of scripts (not good at that) and amendments to the applicaiton ( ooh eck!) However I then remembered that this was done via editing the KDE Menu Editor and tried putting the command above in instead of the skype command as per below

Apologies if this is very simple but it took me a while

I right clicked the 'kick off application launcher button' traditionally in the left corner and selected Menu Editor

In the KDE Menu Editor Box that comes up I selected 'Internet' by clicking on the + sign next to it and opened all the internet applications then scrolled down and clicked on 'Skype'

Now on the right hand side of the KDE menu editor under the General Tab is a box called Command with the words skype written in it. This starts the Skyep programme. So far so good? Ok. I clicked on it and deleted it and then copy and pasted this command in
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

(Which until now I have been using via Konsole to start Skype...not very user friendly...especially for my family!)

After pasting it in I then pressed the save icon in the corner.

This has now saved the command above for everytime you start skype!

When skype starts up next time it will automatically point skype to the camera.You can now fire up skype and test in Options on the bottom left Blue S button or by hitting ctrl and O, clicking Video Devices and hitting the Test button next tothe details of your webcam.

and it worked...no more konsole commands and post it notes...it just works!!

1 comment:

Mary Walker said...

fantastic and superb blog. its very nice post... i like it. thanks for share.. Visit :- Skype Technical Support Also Call +1-800-231-4635 USA (Toll Free).