About Me

My photo
Glossop, United Kingdom
You can email me andybleaden@gmail.com ,ICQ 277487048 or contact via twitter @andybleaden and yes I am still here-always will be!

Not f'd

Not f'd — you won't find me on Facebook

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Testing Moblin 2.1


Moblin





Moblin is an open source project focused on building a Linux-based platform optimized for the next generation of mobile devices including Netbooks, Mobile Internet Devices, and In-vehicle infotainment systems.I saw a news item for it and liked what I saw so downloaded a live pen drive image. Guidance for all of this is here:


http://moblin.org/


The first thing that I noticed when I downloaded the live image and tested on my netbook was how good it looked.


Easy to use.


Easy on the eye.


Wireless (less!)

The big test was made easier when I showed my wife who is newish to pcs but who immediately said that it made sense and she could understand where things would be.


The immediate issues I could see was no wireless and no mp3 support. Both of which I could find other people had found issues with. The Broadcom wireless on the Lenovo needed drivers as it does when I installed Ubuntu or Kubuntu on it.


However unlike in Ubuntu and Kubuntu no GUI came up with a request to download and install the relevant drivers. The network connections zone in moblin just said that wireless was unavailable.


A quick google search came up solutions from within the community which is what I love about using Open Source software.:-)


Having only a basic pen drive image I could not test whether this would work so delayed any further work until I could try an install.


I recently got tempted to try as I had tried and successfully installed other fixes and was getting more confident ( aka fool hardy) I am speeding up my new system install time on both Ubuntu Netbook and Kubuntu so can always reinstall if I so wish.


Installing Moblin


I have to say two things here.

1 The install GUI is a little blocky and old fashioned unlike the nice new posh GUI for Ubuntu etc but

2 It installed Moblin very fast indeed. In fact I thought it had not installed it at all.


So now to get wireless on the netbook




No comments: